Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General CHARLES WATERTON Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Barnsley Canal
 site search by freefind  
Barnsley Canal Main Page ■ Walton Section Main Page
BARNSLEY CANAL - WALTON SECTION
SOAP HOUSE BRIDGE (HIGH TOWN)

Agbrigg ← ◊ Oakenshaw Viaduct ▢ Walton Colliery Nature Park ▢ Lower Town ▢ Soap House Bridge ▢ Cherry Tree ▢ Walton Hall Bridge
▢ Haw Park Bridge ▢ Clay Royd Bridge ▢ Blue Bridge ◊ → The Reservoirs

 Navigate the Barnsley Canal main sections by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right. The pages are listed from the River Calder, Wakefield to Barnsley, and on to Barnby Basin.



Click to enlarge

Map of Walton Locks 8 to 14
Lower Town, Walton Locks and Soap House (High Town) Bridge
.
As it was in the Victorian period.

Click to enlarge

Map of the same area of Walton in 2020
with the canal route and lock site shown.

Click to enlarge

Map of the same area of Walton in 2020. A public footpath now follows the canal route south of Shay Lane.

More pictures of the Soap House Yard area.

.
Click to enlarge 1. "A Yorkshire waterway of many memories", as the Yorkshire Post described the by-now closed Barnsley Canal on 25th Sepember 1953. The provisional abandonment warrant was issued in May 1947. The last boat passed Royston Bridge on 7th December 1950, and the last boat used Heath Lock at the canal's junction with the River Calder on 10th June 1952. The final abandonment warrant came in 1953. From Lower Town to Soap House Bridge, the canal is built upon. From Soap House Bridge to Lock 15 (near Walton Hall) it is filled in. This picture shows children playing on the lock gates.
.
Click to enlarge
2. High Town Bridge (also known as Soap House and Soap House Hill Bridge), photographed roundabout 1950 (source not known).
Click to enlarge
3. Soap House and Lock 11. Possibly late 19th or early 20th century.]
Click to enlarge
4. Situated about 4km from the junction with the Aire & Calder Navigation, this is the site of Soap House Bridge near the Walton Social club, Shay Lane. The bridge was also known as High Town Bridge and locally as "Goddard's Bridge".
[June 2000]
Click to enlarge
5. Walton Locks and the New Inn. High Town Bridge (also known as Soap House Bridge), where Shay Lane crossed the canal, was in this area. Before the Walton Locks houses were built, a chemist, which also sold knitting wool, was situated between the canal route and the New Inn. The chemist ceased trading in the late 1980s or early 1990s and the building was derelict for a while before it was demolished and the houses built.
[28th June 2011]
Click to enlarge
6. Walton Locks - a small housing development built on the old canal route between the Walton Social Club and the New inn. Photographed from the social club/communty centre car park.
Click to enlarge
7. Shay Lane by Soap House Yard and the site of High Town Bridge. the canal ran just to the right of the cottage. A public right of way, part of the Trans Pennine Trail, now follows the canal route towards Haw Park Woods.
[December 2009]
Click to enlarge
8. By the site of lock 11 on the canal, looking southwards from the Soap House Yard area,
[June 2000]
Click to enlarge
9. The route of the canal near Soap House Yard looking northwards towards High Town Bridge (site of) at Shay Lane. This is part of the Trans Pennine Trail.
[June 2000]



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2021.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  

Barnsley Cana Main Page.
(12.1)