WATERTON SECTION


<< Overtown Home WATERTON MAIN PAGE
Natural History Handiworks
Aftermath Waterton Links Links - General Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Charles Waterton
 site search by freefind  
Charles Waterton's Life and Family
Edmund Waterton - Deeping Waterton
Edmund Waterton Pages
• 1  Edmund Brief History • 2 Deeping Waterton • 3 Deeping St. James Gallery
• 4 Descendants of Edmund Waterton • 5 Ring Collection - Illustrated London News • 6 Ring Collection - Wakefield Museum

Click to enlarge.Deeping Waterton Hall
Edmund Waterton's family moved to Deeping St James in 1879 when he purchased The Manor. It occupied the area between Church Street, Brownlow Drive and Hereward Way.

The Waterton Arms pub is shown on this 1887 map. The pub displays the Waterton coat-of-arms and is the most prominent reminder of the Watertons in the village. It has managed to survive much longer than Deeping Waterton Hall itself.

Click on the picture to see the 1887 map of the hall and chapel.
■ The 1900 Ordnance Survey map of the Waterton Hall area. The house is shown as 'The Manor'.
■ The 1887 map overlaid on the 2016 map.
Time passes. There is not much left of the old Waterton Hall area.

Click to enlarge.In 1880, on land between Hereward Way and Church Street, Edmund converted a stable into a chapel (Waterton Chapel) and this was used until December 1968, when the new Roman Catholic church on Hereward Way was completed. A public footpath now runs from Hereward Way, opposite Brownlow Drive, to the grave yard. It passes between the older buildings, such as the old Waterton Chapel, and the houses built in the 20th century.

His first wife, Margaret Alicia Josephine, died in Cannes, France on 26th December 1879 and her body was brought back to be interred in the chapel.

Edmund re-married in 1881. His second wife, Ellen Mercer, survived him by many years and died on 10th January 1909. She is buried in the Mercer Vault at Alston Lane, near Grimsargh.

On his death in 1887, Edmund was interred beside Margaret Alicia Josephine in the Waterton Chapel.
Edmund's Obituary as published in The Tablet, the International Catholic News Weekly, Page 27, 30th July 1887.

In 1891, Edmund's eldest son, Charles Mary Edmund Waterton, sold the Manor House and land to the Marquess of Exeter but the chapel remained the property of the Waterton Family and continued to be used by the Roman Catholic Community.

As the small Catholic community grew over the years, more space was need in the chapel, and permission was granted by the Home Office in the late 1950's, for the bodies to be reinterred within the chapel below ground.

In 1919, the Manor House was let to the Roman Catholic teaching order, the Xaverian Brothers, as a novitiate (a place housing religious novices).

The Brothers bought the property in 1932.

In 1940, after the outbreak of the Second World War, their boys' preparatory school at Foxhunt Manor in Sussex was evacuated to Deeping St. James. In 1945, after a serious fire in the Manor House, the school was moved back to Sussex and the Manor House reverted to a novitiate.

In 1952, a local businessman bought the house and grounds. The land on which it stood extended from Manor Way to the west, Broadgate Lane to the north, Church Street Deeping St James to the south, and Hereward Way to the East. It was agreed that some of the land should be reserved for a new and bigger Catholic Church, which would be built at a later date.

When the land was developed in the 1960s as the Manor Park Estate, a site was allocated for a Catholic Church, Our Lady of Lincoln and St. Guthlac.

The stone font, the 14th century wooden crucifix and 16th century wooden statue of Our Lady, originally installed by Edmund Waterton, were moved from the old chapel to the new church.

With the move to the new church, the Waterton Chapel was abandoned and fell into disrepair.

In 1988 the second reinterment of the remains of the Edmund and Margaret Waterton took place in the cemetery of the Priory Church, Deeping St. James Priory (the parish church). Two of Edmund's direct descendants were in attendance.
Time and the weather have taken their toll, and the inscriptions, included the one from 1988, are now difficult to read, the PDF document contains the text of all three inscriptions.

■ Location of the grave in the Priory churchyard.
■ The grave marker for Edmund and Margaret Waterton.
■ Monumental inscription for Margaret Alicia Josephine Waterton.
■ Enlarged section of Margaret's inscription.
■ Monumental inscription for Edmund Waterton.
■ Enlarged section of Edmund's inscription.
■ Monumental inscription text for the grave marker (PDF).

The old chapel and land were sold, and the building was redeveloped into a house.

Sources include
1. Bourne & Deeping Roman Catholic Parish History
[site accessed 09 Jul 2020]

2. Deepings U3A,"Church Mice" Church visiting group.
Our Lady and St Guthlacs RC Church Deeping St James. Visited by the group January 2013.
[Site accessed 16/04/2016, no longer available on 23/01/2019.]

3. Taking Stock.
Catholic Churches of England & Wales
[site accessed 09 Jul 2020]

~~~~

Other local web sites
1. The Priory Church, Deeping St. James
2. Deeping St. James Parish Council.
3. Deepings Heritage
[sites accessed 09 Jul 2020]

■ Click here for descendants of Edmund Waterton.


Books about Walton, Charles Waterton, Guyana, and more!
See a selection of
books about Walton,
Charles Waterton,
Guyana and more.
• click here •
(Offered for sale by
Amazon.co.uk)



~~~~~~


Yorkshire Air Ambulance

Visit Dogs Trust




 Visit the Bookshelf.

OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2021.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Squire Charles Waterton