WATERTON SECTION


<< Overtown Home WATERTON MAIN PAGE
Natural History Handiworks
Aftermath Waterton Links Links - General Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Charles Waterton
 site search by freefind  
The Iron Bridge at Walton Hall


Click to enlarge"At Walton Hall near Wakefield an elegant bridge of 1828 crosses a lake to give access to an island on which the mansion of 1767-8 was built by Thomas Waterton, father of Charles Waterton (1782 - 1865), the naturalist and explorer."

Text extract from "The Iron Bridge, Symbol of the Industrial Revolution", p. 94. By Neil Cossons and Barrie Trinder. Published by The Bath Press, Bath, Avon, England, in 2002. ISBN I 86077 230 7.

The book also contains these two entries:

"Table 11, Parkland and similar bridges.
a. Walton Hall, Yorkshire. Period of construction: 1818. Grid reference: SE 364163. Manufacturer: Milton. Notes: Built by Thomas Waterton*." (p. 124).

b. Walton Hall. Period of construction: 1828. Grid reference: SE 364163. Manufacturer: Milton. Notes: Footbridge to island built by Thomas Waterton*." (p. 125).
[* Obviously referring to the same bridge, but whichever date is correct, Thomas Waterton had died on 18th March 1805, before the bridge was installed.]

~~~~~

More about the bridge and the iron works.

Click to enlargeMiltons Iron Works - Graces Guide Milton Iron Works and Walton Hall Bridge. [Web site , accessed 4th July 2019.]

Milton Iron Works - Wikipedia. "The Milton Ironworks was an iron works established in the 19th century in the Elsecar area of Barnsley, West Yorkshire, England. Elsecar, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England was, until the 18th century, a mainly agricultural village on the estate of Earl Fitzwilliam. Coal and Iron had been worked from small pits around the village since the late 14th century, particularly in Tankersley Park.
The Milton Ironworks was situated atop a hill to the west of the Dearne and Dove Canal and in order to make use of these facilities it was connected by a tramroad, believed to have been laid to a gauge less than Standard Gauge, the rails being laid on stone sleeper blocks. This tramroad dates from around 1840 The main part of the tramroad system was relaid to standard gauge in the late 1850s and this enabled wagons from the main line company to reach the Milton works and mines in Tankersley Park.
The leaseholders of the land were W.H. and George Dawes, the celebrated Dawes Brothers, their name also being linked to the iron and steel industry in the Scunthorpe area, opening that areas first ironworks, the Trent Ironworks, in 1860.
The iron trade went into a slump in the early 1880s and the Milton Ironworks closed in 1884."
[Text extract from Wikipedia, accessed 4th July 2019.]

Click to enlargeImages of England
IoE Number: 342351. Location: NEAR WATERGATE AT ISLAND AT WALTON HALL, WALTON, WAKEFIELD, WEST YORKSHIRE.
Iron bridge across lake to Walton Hall GV II* Bridge and retaining walls. c.1800 Single span cast-iron bridge providing access to island on which Walton Hall (q.v.) is situated. Elegant shallow arch with open double-sectioned framework surmounted by wavy and straight balusters and straight fluted rods. At either end ashlar walls with piers with channelled stonework, chamfered coping surmounted by swept railings with arrow- head finials to bars. Pair of gates to either end have wavy dog bars with arrow-head finials. An unusual survival superbly sited. Scheduled Ancient Monument. Date listed: 22 November 1966. . (Text extracted, with minor amendments, from Images of England, accessed 8th July 2019.)


 





Books about Walton, Charles Waterton, Guyana, and more!
See a selection of
books about Walton,
Charles Waterton,
Guyana and more.
• click here •
(Offered for sale by
Amazon.co.uk)



 Visit the Bookshelf.

OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2021.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Squire Charles Waterton