Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General CHARLES WATERTON Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Wakefield District
Search this site with freefind.)
 (Visit freefind.com.)  
■ Wakefield District Main Page
YORKSHIRE SCULPTURE PARK (YSP West Bretton, near Wakefield)

 Navigate the principal Wakefield District pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Click to enlarge.
Poppies: Wave. On display from 05/09/2015 - 10/01/2016.
Rising up from the Lower Lake and reaching over the Park's historic Cascade Bridge, Wave is a sweeping arch of bright red poppy heads suspended on towering stalks.
Created by artist Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper.

[Photographed 2016]

Click to enlarge.
Wave viewed from the north bank. With a few days left to go, it was proving to be a popular attraction at the YSP.
Wave was on display from 5th September 2015 until 10th January 2016. It was presented by 14-18 NOW and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park as part of a nationwide tour featuring the iconic poppy sculptures.

[2016]

Click to enlarge.
Wave viewed from the south.
[2016]

Click to enlarge.
Wave viewed from the north.
[2016]

Click to enlarge.
Close-up view of the poppies.
[2016]

Click to enlarge.
Tim Paul, Totem Pole, 1982, Red Cedar.

[2004]

Click to enlarge.
Pelvis,
a sculpture by Not Vital at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
[Nick Lyons, 2017]

Click to enlarge.
Jaume Plensa, The Heart of Trees, .
[2011]

Click to enlarge.
Henry Moore, Two Piece Reclining Figure, Cut 1979-81, bronze (ed of 3).

[2009]

Click to enlarge.
Barbara Hepworth, Squares With Two Circle, 1963.

[2011]

Click to enlarge.
Ronald Rae, Tyger, Tyger.

[2004]

Click to enlarge.
Henry Moore, Two Piece Reclining Figure, Cut 1979-81, bronze (ed of 3).

[2009]

Search Amazon.co.uk




Click to enlargeBretton Hall, once a country house, is a Grade II* listed building.

In the 14th century the Bretton estate was owned by the Dronsfields and passed by marriage to the Wentworths in 1407.
King Henry VIII spent three nights in the old hall and furnishings, draperies and panelling from his bedroom were moved to the new hall.
A hall is marked on Christopher Saxton's 1577 map of Yorkshire.
The present building was designed and built around 1720 by its owner, Sir William Wentworth assisted by James Moyser to replace the earlier hall.
In 1792 it passed into the Beaumont family, (latterly Barons and Viscounts Allendale), and the library and dining room were remodelled by John Carr in 1793.
Monumental stables designed by George Basevi were built between 1842 and 1852. The hall was sold to the West Riding County Council in 1947.
Before the sale, the panelling of the "Henry VIII parlour" (preserved from the earlier hall) was given to Leeds City Council and moved to Temple Newsam house.
The hall housed Bretton Hall College from 1949 until 2001 and was a campus of the University of Leeds from 2001 to 2007.
Planning permission was granted in 2014 to convert the hall into a hotel and spa with conference facilities.

Information from Bretton Hall, West Yorkshire, from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, accessed 28/12/2018.
[Photograph, Nick Lyons, 2017]


 Visit the Bookshelf.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2022.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  

Wakefield District