Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General CHARLES WATERTON Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Wakefield District
 site search by freefind  
■ Wakefield District Main Page
FELKIRK

 Navigate the principal Wakefield District pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Click to enlargeSt Peter's Church
Felkirk is one of the few parishes in the country named after the first church on the site rather than the local village. The name Felkirk is a corruption of the Anglo-Danish word 'Fjolkirche' meaning church of wood or planks which was built in the ninth century.
The current stone church was built in the early 12th century although some elements of an earlier Saxon building have been incorporated. The church soon passed into the care of the Priors of Nostell who enlarged it during the next four hundred years.

Points of interest include:
•10th century octagonal font
•13th century piscina
  (A piscina is a shallow basin placed near the altar of a church, or else in the vestry or sacristy, used for washing the communion vessels.)
•15th century Lady Chapel
•19th century stained glass designed by Frederick Preedy
  ( Frederick Preedy. 1820-1898. A Victorian Architect, born at Offenham near Evesham, Worcestshire.)
•The Great West Door. (1)

There is also the Old School Room in the churchyard.
The building dates back to 1580 and served as the village school until 1840. More infomation is available from Wakefield MDC. (1)

Click to enlargeSt Peter's Church Lychgate
The words carved on the beam read "1914 May they rest in peace. 1918", commemorating the fallen in the First World War.
A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, or as two separate words lych gate, (from Old English lic, corpse) is a gateway, covered with a roof, found at the entrance to a traditional English or English-style churchyard.

Click to enlarge
St. Peter's viewed from the south-east.

[2011]



Click to enlarge
The church viewed from the west showing the Great West Door.

[2011]


Click to enlarge
The Great West Door. It was rediscovered in 1931 sealed by a stone wall inside and outside for over three hundred years.
(1)
Photographed from Chevet public footpath No. 1 (bridleway).

Click to enlarge
The graveyard at St. Peter's Church.

[2011]



Click to enlarge
Slack Lane, Felkirk.
[2011]



Notes
1. Read more at The Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain and Ireland. St Peter, Felkirk, Yorkshire, West Riding, site accessed 12th October 2018. Read article as PDF.



 Visit the Bookshelf.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2021.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  

Wakefield District
(12.1)