Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General CHARLES WATERTON Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Wakefield District
 site search by freefind  
■ Wakefield District Main Page
NOSTELL PRIORY & Nostell Village

 Navigate the principal Wakefield District pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.

Click to enlargeNostell Priory
A colour print of the mansion, published in 1880.

A brief account of the history of Nostell Priory.
(The Priory Church of Saint Oswald, Nostell)
The priory was an Augustinian Canons Regular community,
founded c.1114 by Robert de Lacy; it was transferred to a new site before 1120 (possibly not occupied until 1122).
It was dissolved 1539 (1540) and granted to Thomas Leigh 1539/40.
The site now is now occupied by the mansion named 'Nostell Priory'.

Woodkirk Priory (Widkirk)
Location: Dewsbury Road, Woodkirk.
This was an Augustinian Canons Regular cell dependent on Nostell;
founded 1138-47 (before 1135) by William de Warenne and others, who granted chapel of St Mary to Nostell; dissolved 1539 (1540); granted to George Talbot and Robert Savill.
See Nostell Priory at Wikipedia for more information.
[Site accessed 16th October 2018.]

Click to enlarge.
Nostell, Long Row. Colliers' cottages, dating from around the 1860s. They belonged to the Winns of Nostell Priory. The colliery itself had been enlarged about this time. (1)
Click to enlarge.
Nostell Railway Station was opened in 1866 and was used by the Great Northern Railway and the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway on the line from Doncaster to Wakefield (now the East Coast Mainline). The station closed in 1951 and has been demolished. To the left of the station staff is an advertisement for Pears Soap, "Matchless for the Complexion".
See also Geograph.

[Site accessed 16th October 2018.]

Nostell Colliery Unit Pit Check.
Nostell Colliery Unit pit check.
A blank, unissued check, pre-nationalisation.

Notes & Sources
1. West Yorkshire Coalfield, John Goodchild.The History Press Ltd., first edition, 1st July 2000).

.



 Visit the Bookshelf.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2022.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  

Wakefield District