Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General CHARLES WATERTON Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Wakefield District
 site search by freefind  
■ Wakefield District Main Page
WAKEFIELD - MORE AROUND THE DISTRICT

 Navigate the principal Wakefield District pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Click to enlarge. Crigglestone
Fishponds.
From a postcard circa 1914.

Click to enlarge.Hemsworth
Holgate Hospital,
traces its origins back to Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York from 1545 to 1553. Holgate was born in Hemsworth in 1481.
The Archbishop decreed in his will of 1555 that almshouses should be built to provide for persons aged 60 years or over from the ancient parishes of Hemsworth, Felkirk, South Kirkby, and Wragby.
The hospital is still in existence today.
Find out more at Open Charities and Parish of Hemsworth.
[old postcard, date not known]

Click to enlarge.Sharlston Old Hall
Sharlston is a village and civil parish situated 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Wakefield, and includes the settlements of Old Sharlston, Sharlston Common and New Sharlston.

The village of Old Sharlston has existed for over five hundred years, with the oldest known record indicating that Sharlston Old Hall was built in 1574.

In the early 18th century, the village was acquired by the Earl of Westmorland.

Until April 1929 Sharlston formed part of the Warmfield parish, but is now managed by its own parish council.

The village of New Sharlston was built after the Stanley Main Pit was closed in 1866. It consists of two rows of houses which were mostly occupied by men who worked at the collieries of the surrounding area. Although always a small village, New Sharlston has witnessed rapid decline since the 1984-85 miners' strike which hit Sharlston and its surrounding villages hard. [Source: Wikipedia, accessed 7th July 2015.]


Trinity Church, Ossett.Trinity Church, Ossett. 2015 was the 150th anniversary of the church building, but prior to this an Anglican chapel and church, dating back to at least the year 1409, existed in Ossett.
[Viewed from the "Super Sapphire", 2014.]

More at Trinity Church, Ossett.

Woolley Hall.Woolley Hall, 1907.



Notes & Sources

1. Map of Wakefield District civil parishes.

.

 Visit the Bookshelf.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2022.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  

Wakefield District